SFT is the acronym for Semi Fungible Token. The word "Semi" shows that SFT means basically a combination between NFT (Non-Fungible Token) and FT (Fungible Token).
Why integrate SFT?
There are two main reasons for integrating the SFT standard. The first is connected to costreduction. The second one regards the atomicswap.
Based on the cost reduction perspective, SFTs can reducetransaction costs by enabling batch transfer and multi-transfer.
Batch represents the type of transfer that admits sending both FTs and NFTsusing one single smart contract.
Multi-transfer is the type of transfer that allows the transaction sender to transfer FTs and NFTs to more than onerecipient using just one smart contract.
The power of the atomic swap is represented by the appropriate environment for swapping any number of tokens by performing a two-step operation: approving and completing the swap.
SFTs benefits into GameFi
The most valuable benefit of building games using the SFT standard is that they offer the environment to store all the assets in a decentralized way, enabling this way transparency and security to the gaming process. The decentralized way to handle information tends to become a key requirement nowadays.
Most games nowadays rely on a system based on items and resources. Items have different stats based on the item level and type, e.g. an iron sword is better than a wooden one, and based on their level, a level 3 sword is better than a level 1. These stats are stored directly on-chain using SFTs which enables having all this info stored directly on a single smart contract for best cost performance. We can operate this way in case we know all the assets' information beforehand. Otherwise, we have the alternative of storing the whole information dynamically, using multiple smart contracts. This case refers to the scenario when new assets can show up after the game launch. Resources are stored in the same format and interact with the items, using them in exchange for upgrading, crafting, or acquisition of assets.
Using semi-fungible tokens (SFTs) in a game offers several advantages over a traditional web 2 game. First, SFTs provide much more flexibility when it comes to creating in-game items. For example, each SFT can represent an item with unique properties or characteristics, such as a sword with higher attack power than other swords. This allows developers to create a much more varied and interesting gaming experience. Additionally, SFTs also provide a more secure way to manage in-game items, since each token is tracked on the blockchain and its ownership is immutable. This ensures that items are not lost or stolen and that players can trust that their items are safe. Finally, SFTs also allow players to trade and exchange their in-game items with other players, creating a vibrant in-game economy.
Some examples of games that can be rebuilt using the SFT standard:
Clash of Clans MMO style:
▪ Items, buildings, and resources can be stored on-chain using SFTs
▪ Players are able to exchange the items, this way offering them a decentralized trading environmentthat couldn't be found in Web2
▪ Data regarding the stats or the village are stored on-chain, in a transparent and secure way
▪ Game mechanics use directly the attributes for the given item certain level (e.g. when an attack is happening, the health, defense, and other can be fetched from the blockchaindirectly, offering true transparency and accuracy)
▪ The waiting time for block confirmation is not inconvenient for players of this genre of game as upgrading buildings and creating troops takes time in the matter of hours and days
MMO RPG style
▪ Starting an action (fight/expedition / any action that requires the account ) - message signing